I usually do not look “polished”* (my flatmate does though, like all the time and I really envy her for that…)
The main reason I don’t look polished is I don’t try enough. I have never done a manicure in my whole life, never been to a beautician to wax or have my eyebrows shaped, never had a massage, never visited a spa. (I started yoga though this year and I keep going, before you all start throwing stuff at your screen.)
The reason for all the above is mainly my unwillingness to spend money on these things, as I believe (at least so far) that I managed rather well on my own.
I’ve recently started changing my mind though, but this is the content for another post….this one is about a few tricks I have to look polished immediately.
I do have a few tricks though that really make a difference for me:
1. Straight hair: I have lots of curly hair, but not too curly so that I need to visit a salon every time I want a perfectly straight scalp. Don’t ask me why, but straight hair makes me feel and look instantly more serious (could be from when I was a young girl and people thought I was older when I carried my hair straight). Don’t get me wrong, I love my curly hair, but once or twice a month, when an important meeting or event is happening at work, I might give them a spin.
2. Red nail polish: Funny how nail polish makes me feel “polished”. I bite my nails, so applying nail polish for me is not just a matter of vanity. It’s also a way of saying to myself “well done petite Bruxelloise, you made it through a week without your fingers in your mouth!!!” And although there is a huge variety of colours out there to choose from, I think the most elegant one has been is and will continue to be RED. (I must admit the nudes are also something I like very much to look polished, but helas! They require perfectly manicured hands, something I have not mastered still).
3. An all-black outfit: I know, I know, boring, boring, boring! But with the right accessories, everything can become more interesting. And nothing tells me “put together professional girl” to me than an all-black outfit (preferably with heels :) )
4. Lingerie: This is a strange one as technically noone sees it on weekdays, at least before 8pm… It is incredible though how inspiring and empowering it can be to wear nice underwear – makes me feel like the well-groomed girl I ought to be, and also someone ready for anything coming her way!!
5. A nice pair of shoes: Ok, you must have seen this one coming. You might be wearing the worst outfit ever and just because your shoes are fabulous, you instantly become “stylish”. A pair of black pumps is like the Messiah for difficult shoe situations – they can save every single outfit from limbo. But pretty is not enough, shoes also have to be well-maintained, clean and fresh in order to be able to work their magic. And that’s the tough part!
*Polished meaning like I didn’t just get out of bed